The Langham Auckland has received the New Zealand Hotel Industry Environmental Initiative Award, as part of the annual New Zealand Hotel Industry Conference.
The environmental award was received by the New Zealand hotel, as part of the annual New Zealand Hotel Industry Conference this month.
Having been awarded the EarthCheck Gold level of certification for the last four years, this latest Award especially recognises the innovation The Langham Auckland has shown to neutralise its impact on the climate and environment.
According to Langham, the judges said the hotel had “successfully integrated social and environmental considerations into its development and daily activities to help build a better world.”
Through its purchasing selection processes, the Langham encourages suppliers to adopt practises that minimise their environmental impact and work in partnership with suppliers to improve environmental outcomes over that time.
The Langham Auckland’s initiatives include:
· Participation in Earth Hour, including encouraging guests to turn off the lights in their rooms
· An induction programme which shares environmental initiatives with staff, and in turn encourages them to contribute their own ideas which has resulted in staff helping to clean up coastlines and Meatless Monday
· Energy, water and waste reduction schemes with measurable results and improvements
· A supplier code of conduct
· Community service and involvement, including sponsorship of Garden to Table which encourages young children to grow and cook their own seasonal fruit and vegetables.